What to Do After a Car Accident
By: Good2GoPublished: July 20, 2015
One minute you’re driving along enjoying the day and the next moment…BAM…you’re involved in an accident. Those chaotic moments following an accident can be overwhelming. Emotions will be high, but if you follow simple protocol and remain calm the situation is easily manageable.
Truth is no one ever expects to get into a car accident but the likelihood of being in one at some point, whether as a driver or passenger, is quite high. With that in mind there are a number of steps that one should take before, during, and after to help minimize an already stressful situation.
Be prepared prior to a car accident:
- Carry your driver’s license whenever you operate a motor vehicle.
- Have the vehicle registration in the car at all times.
- Consider signing up for a roadside assistance service like AAA to alleviate some of the stress associated with accidents. Some insurers, like Good2Go, offer a coverage add-on that’ll help cover the costs associated with towing.
- Having your insurance documentation with you is also important. It should include your insurance carrier’s name, policy number, and the emergency phone number.
- Have a disposable camera or camera phone on hand to take photos.
Other things to carry in your vehicle:
- First Aid kit
- A flashlight – in case visibility is limited
- Paper and a writing instrument to exchange contact information with other drivers
At the scene of the car accident:
- Never leave the scene until it is appropriate to do so, even if the accident seems to be a minor one. It could leave you open to criminal prosecution later. You always have to stop, check on the other people involved, exchange insurance information and report it to law enforcement.
- Remain calm; assess the situation from your car, noting the damage to your car and the other cars involved. Emotions are usually running high and anger will only make it worse. Besides, you need to have a clear head to remember key details, gather all the necessary documents, and help those who might be hurt.
- Don’t get out of your car unless it is safe to do so.
- Call 911 even if the damage appears to be negligible. It will ensure there is an accurate record of the accident. This protects you if there are conflicting statements being made later in the process, the other driver provides false information, or an injury is reported later on.
- Throughout this time do not accept fault or apologize for anything at the scene. It could be used later as a possible admission of legal liability.
Key information to gather from involved parties includes:
- Names, phone numbers, addresses and email addresses of all occupants and witnesses
- Photos of the accident scene and all vehicles involved
- Company name, policy number and phone number for other insurance companies
- If emergency services respond: police report number, phone number, officer name and badge number, etc.
- A copy of the police report
After the car accident:
- Do not drive your car if it is unsafe. You may need to have it towed to remove it from the area.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible explaining what happened as concisely and truthfully as possible.
- Make an appointment with your doctor if you’re feeling any sort of discomfort.
- Track all of your costs including time lost from work, medical costs, lost job opportunities, limits to your normal lifestyle activities.
- Be cautious when being offered an early settlement since all the facts may not yet be in place, especially any medical issues that could be pending.
- Finally, you may need to get an attorney especially in a more serious accident with injuries involved.
No one wants to get into an accident but unfortunately it does happen. If you are involved in an accident, it is important to have an auto insurance company you can depend on to help you through the process. Luckily for you, Good2Go Auto Insurance has been around for 25 years offering affordable car insurance online with great customer support. When you need us, we are there for you with a customer service department that is second to none. We even offer roadside assistance to our Nations Safe Driver Towing Program members.
Good2Go understands that our drivers need affordable auto insurance so they can get back on the road. We have the minimum car insurance coverage drivers need at an affordable price with low monthly payment plans.
The process to apply online is simple and easy. We don’t need your whole life story to get you the auto coverage you need today. Get your free online quote right now at www.good2go.com. You’ll be glad you did!